Last week, the OPM announced that a database containing the personal information of about 4 million current and former federal employees was hacked. Privately, U.S. officials said the Chinese government was behind the breach. The administration has not publicly pointed a finger at Beijing.
I’m surprised the Washington Post continues with this Chinese narrative as there has been no official condemnation of China over this and determining the true source of an intrusion is extremely difficult if not impossible in many cases. They still haven’t caught the culprits in the Target and Home Depot data breaches. The list of suspects with motive to obtain this kind of data is probably quite long so it’s irresponsible to assume a guilty party before any evidence has been leaked. No doubt consultants are working furiously tracing log records but at least wait until there is something concrete. The Washington Post is an institution with top notch journalists so they should know better.
And here’s the blurb that made me laugh.
Offensive actions might include directing a U.S. agency to locate the servers holding the stolen data and deleting or altering the data, the former official said.
Haha. Like whoever did this wouldn’t have backups 6 ways to Sunday of every bit gathered. There’s no way to delete anything digital once it’s out in the ether. Why would anyone publish a statement like that? The only thing an offensive cyber attack can accomplish is making the US government behave like the criminals who they denounce.